We believe it's important to celebrate and encourage the life lessons taught by the unique sport of figure skating that shapes us and comes with us once our competitive careers are over. When Carley was diagnosed with an extremely rare form of cancer at 17 it became evident that the tools figure skating gave her reached far beyond the rink.
As a competitive figure skater, you are taught to perform technically difficult elements, the same as any other sport, but in figure skating, you are taught to do it with grace and a smile on your face. Carley did just that, she chose to smile through diagnosis, treatment and pain, and that's how her inspirational message of "always smile" was born. Carley defied the odds by skating and competing (at Ontario Sectionals) during and after treatments, she demonstrated unbelievable bravery and perseverance. In Carley’s honour, we have created the “Always Smile Award”
The “Always Smile Award” is awarded to one skater, per skating club, per year, that has demonstrated a positive attitude, grace and bravery while faced with a challenge or adversity.
Read about our very first "Always Smile Award" recipient of 2019 HERE
- Inaugural one-time fee per club - $150 for a 12-year plaque.
- The recipients receive their name on the plaque
- Inaugural recipient receives a small gift from Carley's Angels.
- Coaches of the skating club choose the recipient and provide 1 paragraph as to why.
- In some cases a Carley's Angels representative attends, explains, and presents the inaugural award.
- Interested in signing your club up but want a little more information? Book a meeting with our Executive Director here
We are aiming to work with skating clubs across Canada in hopes of introducing Carley’s Story and message of “Always Smile” to as many young skaters as possible. If you would like to get your skating involved and help us share Carley’s inspiring message of “Always Smile” please purchase your clubs plaque below.
For additional information please email firstname.lastname@example.org